Saturday, December 6, 2014

project 52: week 13

What is Project 52? It's a little like Project 365, but instead of the goal of posting a photo each day, I'll post a photo or two each week along with a short update. Really I just need a little push to post something every week. Since I like to keep this space positive, posting every week forces me to look back and find something shiny to talk about (ten points if you get that reference). Some weeks that's a piece of cake. Other weeks it's more of a challenge, and those weeks give this task true meaning.

Winter gifts for my niece and nephews.
Afternoon sunlight in my science classroom (we're learning how to make microscope slides).
What's New?
This past week has been rough. I've been burning the candle at both ends - spending too much time at work (both with meetings and general prepping), along with an increasing sense of frustration at the terrible events happening around the country. Amid all the negative, unproductive, victim-blaming, and generally unhelpful dialogue on the internet I came across this article that deals with the science of how our brains perceive race. The scientist in me finds it fascinating, of course, but more importantly the article sheds light on what to do about unintentional racism in our brains. I'm willing to admit that I have unintentional racism (I think we all do, to be quite honest), as long as there exists strategies to combat it. Otherwise it's just too depressing and overwhelming.

With all that's been going on, I'm especially looking forward to spending time with dear friends today at the Urban Craft Uprising. We're meeting for brunch and then spending some time browsing for gifts. I love seeing what creative people come up with, and using my few precious dollars to support crafty individuals instead of mega-corporations. It'll be a great time, I'm sure.

Currently Reading
Still working my way through Anne Rice's The Witching Hour. The only time I have for reading is right before bed, so it's taking me much longer than usual.

On the Needles
Working on hat #3 out of 4. My goal is to get them packaged and shipped (with the pj pants) by next weekend. Last year I waited much too long to send gifts and I ran into predictably long lines and higher prices at the post office.

Looking Forward To
  1. my friends' yearly Swedish Christmas party

0 comments:

Post a Comment