Wednesday, December 31, 2014

best books of 2014

This year I read 30 books. That's about 20 fewer than last year. And while that bothered me at first, when I look back at my year I'm really okay with it. Here's some of what I read:

Really, really long fiction (600 pages or more):
A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (~800 pages)
A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (~800 pages)
A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin (~1200 pages)
A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin (~900 pages)
A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin (~1100 pages)
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (~600 pages)
The Passion of Mary Magdalen by Elizabeth Cunningham (~600 pages)
The Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk (~600 pages)
The Witching Hour by Anne Rice (~1200 pages)

Shorter fiction:
The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren
The Midwife's Tale by Sam Thomas
Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Nonfiction:
How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming by Mike Brown
The Secret Life of Trees by Colin Tudge

Cookbooks:
Whole-Grain Mornings by Megan Gordon
The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon

Children's books:
Our Family Tree: An Evolution Story by Lisa Westberg Peters
Older than the Stars by Karen C. Fox
Flotsam by David Wiesner

Most of these books (all of the really long fiction, most of the shorter fiction, and some of the non-fiction) were read on my Kindle, which is why I didn't realize at first how long some of these books are. Some of them were re-reads (all the Game of Thrones books). Some of them were duds. But all in all I think it was a good year. I enjoyed immensely re-reading GoT, especially on the Kindle. Not only did I get to avoid lugging around such huge books, but it was very easy and efficient to highlight passages and add notations.

Reading Goals for 2015:
  • 52 books - I can do it!
  • finish the Divergent series
  • read the Lord of the Rings trilogy (I can get past Tom Bombadil, I know I can!)


0 comments:

Post a Comment