Saturday, August 7, 2010

Apricot-Blackberry jam

Following this recipe, I made two batches of apricot-blackberry jam yesterday.


The first batch tasted great, but didn't firm up enough. It's not so runny that I would call it syrup, but it is a runny jam. I think I rushed the recipe a little, letting it just boil, instead of hard boil. I couldn't help it, though; I was excited.


I didn't have enough blackberries for the second batch, so I ended up using 2 cups blackberries and 2 cups raspberries (from our u-pick experience).


I bought the apricots from the Lake City Farmers Market. Which means that while I harvested only half of the fruit in this jam, it all came from either local farmers, or in the case of the blackberries, a public park in Seattle.


I was patient with the second batch, and it turned out runny as well. Not sure what I did wrong, but at least it's tasty.




2 comments:

  1. I'm sure it will taste glorious. And I love the variety of jars! That wide mouthed, squat one looks really neat. Where'd you find it?

    Also, the City People's by your house has canning supplies. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought those jars at the Mapleleaf Ace Hardware store on Roosevelt (I also saw them at Target, but boo Target!).

    Also found out that Goodwill sells mason jars for $0.20 a piece. Too bad I could only find two. That just means I have to visit Goodwill more often.

    ReplyDelete