Monday, July 15, 2013

my new adventure

What's New?
Last week I interviewed for a job at a K-8 environmental science school. At the end of the week I got a call offering me the position. I am now preparing to start a new adventure at a new school! This new position means that I'll get to work with a former colleage who I admire and respect, not to mention who I miss dearly. It will be great getting to work with her again, and getting to try on new things as I help bring more environmental science to my new school.





Joe and I, along with two dear friends, headed south yesterday to hike the Ape Caves at Mt. St. Helens. It was my first visit to the volcano, which was greatly overdue. I can't believe I've driven past this treasure so many times without stopping to check it out. Hiking in the caves was magical: there was complete darkness (we had headlamps and lanterns), an eerie and chilling wind, and amazing rock formations and textures. We hiked the upper caves, which is a 2+ hour hike covering 1.5 miles of boulder piles and one 8 foot high lava fall.

Currently Reading
  • Scatter, Adapt, Remember: How Humans Will Survive a Mass Extinction by Annalee Newitz
  • The Accidental Buddhist: Mindfulness, Enlightenment, and Sitting Still by Dinty Moore - I just finished this book last night. Great read, very thought provoking while not being preach-y.
On the Needles
For the first time in months, there is nothing on the needles! I need to wash & block my Leaflet cardigan before picking up stitches to finish the collar. I think in the meantime I'll start some washcloths to use up my stash of cotton yarn. I love using my hand-made washcloths in the kitchen. Or maybe I'll make some Swiffer covers. I have some ideas for improvements to the design.

Looking Forward To:
  1. new job orientation
  2. camping with friends

0 comments:

Post a Comment