Tuesday, December 31, 2013

best books of 2013

photo credit: Georg Mayer via Flickr
This year I read 53 books. These were my favorites:

Fiction
  • Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
  • The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
  • The Raven Boys & The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
  • The Forest of Hands and Teeth (only the first book) by Carrie Ryan
  • Looking for Alaska by John Green
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
  • The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch
  • The Movement of Stars by Amy Brill

Children's
  • A Symphony for the Sheep by Cynthia Millen
  • Zen Shorts by Jon J. Muth

Non-Fiction
  • The Urban Bestiary by Lyanda Lynn Haupt
  • Pilgrim on the Great Bird Continent by Lyanda Lynn Haupt

And my overall favorites from this year:
  • Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
  • Mink River by Brian Doyle

Trends I noticed in my book choices this year:
I read quite a bit of YA, but with my job as a middle school science teacher I think that's to be expected. I also read a lot on the bus once September hit, so YA books were a good choice. Of those YA books, though, I read quite a few tearjerkers: Speak, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Looking for Alaska, Tell the Wolves I'm Home and of course the whammy The Fault in Our Stars.

So what am I reading right now? I'm re-reading Game of Thrones. Something familiar and complex that won't end with me crying my eyes out. I think it's a good plan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment