Saturday, September 7, 2013

first week back


What's New?
This week was the first week of school. I went back to work Tuesday after the long weekend, and the kids started Wednesday. The photo above is my view most mornings as I walk the few blocks from my bus stop at the top of the hill towards my school.

This week I also started commuting by bus. I live on the other side of the city from my new school, so with traffic it takes about an hour to travel the distance (22 minutes w/o traffic). I've opted to travel by bus - it's cheaper than gas, allows me to do other things (read, knit, etc), and most of the time it's less stressful. So far mornings are faster (an hour versus hour and a half), and people are much more subdued. The evenings take longer, and tend to be when the more colorful passengers show up. It's also much more environmentally friendly. With both of us commuting by bus, our car is going to see fewer miles and burn less gas.

As far as my students go... we're still trying to balance the schedule, so my class lists will change sometime next week. I have too few kids in my 6th grade classes, while my neighbor has too many. I have all of the 8th graders, so while some might change from 1st period to 5th period, I will still have the same kids. I'm starting to learn names, but I have many more to go before I know them all.

Currently Reading
  • I started reading If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor, because it is written in a similar style to Mink River, but I think I'm going to put it down. It's interesting, but not compelling enough to make me pick it up.
  • I also started The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. I've seen the movie, so I know the story, but I'm enjoying the read.
  • Since my husband still has my Kindle captive (and The City of Ember is on the Kindle), I've brought Looking for Alaska by John Green with me on the bus. 

On the Needles
I need to figure out what I can take with me to knit on the bus. I have three projects in process: a dishcloth that's about halfway done; a striped Idlewood sweater that just needs sleeves finished; and my Leaflet cardigan that needs to be blocked first before I can pick up stitches and knit the collar. Decisions, decisions...

Looking Forward To:
  1. taking some "me-time" to recharge

0 comments:

Post a Comment