Friday, August 23, 2013

settling in to my classroom




What's New?
Tuesday of this week was my first day officially moving in. When I arrived at school, the previous teacher's boxes were still in my room. However, she stopped by, saw them still there and went down to the office. Five minutes later she returned with the principal, both vice-principals and the principal-intern and together we moved the boxes out of my room and into her new room down the hall. I was so impressed by the community spirit, and the willingness to do what needed to be done, no matter whose job it was. I think I'm going to really like teaching at this school.

After the boxes were moved out, in came my stuff! I've been working on finding places for my things that makes sense, and figuring out how I want to use my space. Speaking of space, this new room of mine is HUGE! There is room for two teacher desks (that happened to already be in there), so I can have one for the computer and another one to spread out my piles use for planning. There is enough room for my favorite student desk configuration, and more space in the back for small groups or even for the whole class to pull up a chair for some direct instruction.

Currently Reading
  • Mink River by Brian Doyle - I am still hooked on this book! I love the poetry/prose, and the apt yet beautiful descriptions of living in the Pacific Northwest. I may have to buy this book so that I can read it again whenever the mood strikes.
On the Needles
Working on dishcloth #2. I'm hoping to use up the remainder of my blue cotton yarn.

Looking Forward To:
  1. picking blueberries
  2. starting work

0 comments:

Post a Comment