Saturday, January 7, 2017

Book Goals for 2017


In the spirit of this post, I'd like to be more thoughtful as I plan my reading year. Here's what I have so far:

January (a book about immigration)
  • In The Country We Love: My Family Divided by Diane Guerrero

February (a book about Jewish people)
  • The Two Family House: A Novel by Lynda Cohen Loigman

March (speculative fiction by a writer of color)
  • 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

April (a book by a trans author)
  • A Queer and Pleasant Danger by Kate Bornstein

May (a book translated to English)
  • Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

June (a feminist book by a woman of color)
  • Headscarves and Hymens: Why the Middle East Needs a Sexual Revolution by Mona Eltahawy

July (a narrative around #BlackLivesMatter by a black author)
  • They Can't Kill Us All: Ferguson, Baltimore, and a New Era in America's Racial Justice Movement by Wesley Lowery

August (a book about Islam)
  • Does My Head Look Big In This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah

September (a book about Latinx people)
  • Oye What I'm Gonna Tell You by Cecilia Rodríguez Milanés

October (American history from the perspective of a marginalized group)
  • Homegoing: A Novel by Yaa Gyasi

November (policing and incarceration)
  • Incarceration Nations: A Journey to Justice in Prisons Around the World by Baz Dreisinger

December (a book set in the Middle East)
  • Alif the Unseen by G Willow Wilson

I'm also planning on finishing as many of my school's "Bulldogs Read" books as I can. I read two over winter break, bringing my total to nine so far this school year. I love being able to talk to kids about books, and since many kids at my school read at least one Bulldogs Read book, it opens up conversations.

0 comments:

Post a Comment